Thorns

Thorn trees are part of our walk. Right now and all winter they are thick and sharp and menacing. But soon, when leaves come, the thorns will be hidden from view.
Made me ponder.....what do we cover our thorns with? When we talk about someone, the barbs dig in. When we judge, the crown pushes further down. We cover those barbs with "prayer concerns" and "trying to help someone". But aren't we just uncovering their shame. Even ourselves, we dress up with righteous works and piety.
I was reminded of a song by FFH a few years back, On My Cross. The chorus says "I don't know why You went where I was meant to go. I don't know why You love me so. Those were my nails, that was my crown, that pierced Your hands and Your brow. Those were my thorns, those were my scorns, those were my tears that fell down....."
I want to remember that the thorns are under the pretty leaves - that He bore my shame, my blame, took my place.
I don't want the story prettied up. I want people to know the thorny parts of why we have so free a salvation. I want my thorns to show. I want to show that I'm not pretty, that Jesus died for MY sins, and yours.
Leaves were used as "cover-ups" way back in Genesis. There were no thorns until sin entered, no need to hide. Let us be as naked before people who ask about our Jesus of Easter. Let us give the thorny Truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving The Sinner

The Mother

Love Fail